I think I can relate to the post-decision dissonance since it deals with close-call decisions that can often result in a lot of tension within after the decision has been made.  It’s stated that this condition can be heightened depending on the importance of decision, difficulty of the decision, and irreversibility of the decision.

Take for example, a buyer’s remorse: which is an emotional response that many buyers experience during the course of their transaction. The response can take various forms such as feelings of regret, fear, depression or anxiety. The feelings are probably related to the uncertainty that results from relinquishing control. For instance, I had I car that no longer suited my lifestyle needs although it was still comfortable and drove smoothly. When I decided to buy another one, I was faced to confront some uncertainty: i.e. whether I could have paid less for that car or for that amount I could get the latest model, or thinking that the dealer took advantage of me. To some extent I tried talking myself out of buying the car especially compounded by the fear of making a long-term financing payment plan.

I realized that a buyer’s remorse is an interesting and natural human trait and frequent buyers are familiar with it. I just kept reassuring myself that I paid a fair price for it. But I also think the sales person did a good job by being confident, also saying again and again that this car really suited me and will address my specific needs in terms of design, color and size during the sales process. That reassurance definitely helped me cope with the anxiety associated with post-decision dissonance.