With Coordinated Management of Meaning, a number of interactions take place when information of any kind in exchanged. This interaction activity usually involves a couple of processes such as raw sensory data (input from eyes and ears), content (understood spoken words), speech act, identity, relationship, episode, and cultural pattern.

If one is to tell a story, there must be a declaration of the type of story to be told. In 2000 I wanted to go back to school, preferably study online as I’m doing now but my guarantors thought otherwise, that I should attend a traditional college. We disagreed to the extent I knew they were mad at me. I had other interests and if I was confined to a traditional class setting, then I would not have been able to pursue it. At the end, I had no choice but attend a local community college because as long as they were footing the bills, their say or stand in this matter carried more weight.

The event that transpired is called an episode. Considering the speech act, which was almost a non-verbal communication. The communication went stale with my idea of trying to attend an online college instead of the traditional one, which was quickly suppressed by my guarantors.

The relationship of the persons-in-conversation was firm in that I knew the other party for along time. However, this relationship was important to me because if it were to end then, I wouldn’t have acquire college education at that level nor the financial support for tuition and books that came with the package.

The life script (identity) is in essence a way in which you are to behave or conduct yourself in a given situation. In this instance the life script of the guarantors is in a much more dominant and controlling role than mine. And thus I am on the other hand is expected to act in a submissive or obedient manner.

The final component in the interaction is the display of cultural patterns. In communication people tend to act in ways that are consistent with what society has deemed appropriate. If this situation were to come up years earlier there would be no complaints voiced to my guarantors in the first place, period. However in this day and age it is common to hear younglings voicing their opinions out loud.